scriptingNews outline for 5/28/99

Author:Dave Winer

DaveNet: Weblogs. "Right now a very small percentage of web users have websites. That can and will change."

"You're onto something powerful," says Dan Gillmor.

The Freedom Ship will continuously circle the globe, covering most of the world's coastal regions every 2 years. It will spend 25% of its time in motion, and 75% sitting offshore exciting touring destinations. I love the web!

InfoWorld: Macromedia sneaks a peek at new web dev tools.

Dave Polaschek says that weblogs are for Intranets too. True!

US Patent and Trademark Office: Notice of Public Hearing and Request for Comments on Issues Related to the Identification of Prior Art During the Examination of a Patent Application.

Privacy is a big topic on the Internet today. In September 1997, in DaveNet, Bill Gates said: "For some reason the public isn't hearing about this issue at all. I can't believe there isn't more of an outcry." Finally people are tuning in. They are recording everything you say. It can and will be used against you. "A new cyberdictator could ask his MIS department to do a query against the email database. Find me six million people to kill, and give me a reason to kill them."

Salon: Fear of Links. "The webloggers have found a new and fertile niche in the Web's information ecology. They're fulfilling the predictions by Internet visionaries of the rise of a new breed of personal journalism online -- only instead of pounding the physical pavement, they forage for news on the Net itself." Beautiful!

Scott's article will probably be pointed to by lots of weblogs! ;->

Ever wonder what a sonic boom looks like on a humid day?

Frank Beacham's Questioning Technology.

Technote: The XML-RPC interface for Manila will look much like the XML-RPC interface for search.userland.com.

15seconds.Com uses the XML version of Scripting News to demonstrate server-side XML coding for ASPs. Hey, the ball is realllly rolling now. Pinch me!

Drew Ivan: 'Back in 1945, Vannevar Bush's landmark essay "As We May Think" described a device called Memex that sounds a lot like today's Worldwide Web. He envisioned a class of people called Trailblazers who were adept at wading their way through hypertexts and leaving a trail of links for others to follow. Weblogs are to the WWW what Trailblazers were to Memex, except not hypothetical.'

On Monday we registered a new domain, it's amazing what names aren't taken.

Unfortunately weblog.com is taken.

Wired: Microsoft got Mad, then Even, with IBM.

News.com: Microsoft Defends Per-CPU OS License Fee.