Bulletin Authoring UI, system features

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/1/1999; 7:33:26 AM
Topic:Scripting News Bulletins via Email

It's pretty plain-Jane, but it works..

It basically accepts the same format I use to edit Scripting News. For the HTML rendering, it passes the text thru a template without any modification. For the plaintext version, it pulls out the URLs and strips out the s. Both versions run thru the website framework, an interesting application, since the output isn't going thru HTTP, it's going thru email. But it works, and macros and templates give me a lot of power to tweak the rendering without touching the script that does the distribution.

We're also doing something interesting with the email sending, it's all asynchronous, another machine on our LAN is doing the email sending. The server sends an XML-RPC message to the mail machine containing a list of all the recipients for each version and the actual text that's to be sent. It's pretty dumb, it just emails to each of the recipients. But I don't have to sit there waiting for the emails to be sent to go on with my work, and the main machine isn't distracted from its job of serving web pages.

© Copyright 1998-2001
UserLand Software, Inc.