Re: Why Use Office 2000?

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:6/9/1999; 10:30:46 AM
Topic:Why Use Office 2000?

I have Office 95 at home. I can't justify spending $$$ on features I'm never going to use...

When someone sends me a Word 97 doc, I load it into StarOffice 5.0, which was free for personal use, and loads Office 97 docs pretty darn well.

If I open a 97 doc in 95, it'll display a bunch of jibberish on my screen -- down a page or two is the unformatted text of the document!

Most of the time, that's all I need anyway! :-)

When I really do need a Word version of the doc, because I need to edit it or print it, I just ask for an RTF or Word 95 version of the file... that's never been a problem for me yet.

I suppose if you get as much e-mail as Jakob Nielsen does, you won't have time to go through all the hassle I do to read a Word doc. Luckily, I don't get that much e-mail ;-)

Jim