Re: Email to Microsoft re Office 2000 and MSIE

Author:Kevin Stewart
Posted:6/10/1999; 6:36:36 AM
Topic:Email to Microsoft re Office 2000 and MSIE

"The key is to embrace the *users* of the web, not just the technology of the web."

I agree. As a software developer I try to remember that as much as I want to use the latest and greatest technologies, my users could care less. They want it to work and they want it to be easy. I like Office and use it, but it's not really designed for me; it's a showcase of all the latest Microsoft technologies. I could go back to Word 2.0 and still get my job done.

Microsoft has great technology. What they do not have is great, goal-directed design. Usability labs DOES NOT equal design! Spend time finding out what users NEED to do, before coming up with a solution. Then, users will ove you and MAYBE you'll save some money in development costs.

Kevin

PS - If you haven't read "The Inmates are Running the Asylum" by Alan Cooper, I HIGHLY recommend it.