Re: $15,000 to Burn

Author:David Gewirtz
Posted:6/11/1999; 1:03:28 AM
Topic:$15,000 to Burn

My experience has been that Frontier is very CPU-sensitive. At one point, I was running a P200 and rendering journals. Each import/render would take about an hour (which was still pretty amazing since hand-writing might take a month) and since there were always about four errors somewhere, it'd take four hours or so before I got home (usually after midnight).

Last month, I bought a $1700 PIII 500Mhz random clone machine, same RAM, nothing special about the drive, etc. and my renders now take five minutes. All four renders, with screwing around on my part, take about 30 mins and I now sometimes get to go home before Buffy (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Definitely go for the horsey-power, but don't worry about the bells and whistles.