Re: $15,000 to Burn

Author:erik@geekfun.com
Posted:6/11/1999; 9:05:27 AM
Topic:$15,000 to Burn

How are you going to distribute load? How are you going to mirror content? How are you going to admin all your machines? If these things are running NT, you are going to want to have a keyboard and mouse attached, though ideally though a Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch.

How much does disk I/O matter, how much memory do you need? How well does frontier make use of >1 processor.

I would say the sweet-spot, processor wise, is a 450 MHz PII or PIII. The next step up costs you significantly more. (Actually, for a single processor machine, I would go with a Celeron)

Similarly, among multiprocessor machines, dual CPUs are your best bet price/performance wise. (You can use a Celeron in a dual processor configuration, but I wouldn't mess around with that on a server).

I just quoted out some 2U (3" high) rackmounts from dcginc.com. For under $3000 I can get Dual PIII 450 MHz CPUs, 256 MB ECC RAM, 9 GB 7200 RPM UW-SCSI hard disk, dual 10/100 ethernet ports, 2 MB video 300 W powersupply. This provides a reasonably well balanced machine that doesn't take up too much rack space for a good price. It doens't include the OS (another $550 or so for NT server)