$500 NT Systems? Really?

Author:Karl Fast
Posted:6/11/1999; 11:45:12 AM
Topic:$15,000 to Burn

Exactly how could you get a $500 NT system?

You can't use NT Workstation as a web server, because Microsoft has crippled it by limiting the number of TCP/IP connections. That means NT Server.

At insight.com the lowest price for NT was just under $700. You're paying more for your base OS than your hardware! Assuming your $15k is just for hardware, here's what it will really cost you:

  15 x ($1000 + $700) = $25,500
  30 x ($500  + $700) = $36,000

What's the point of that? I mean, why buy cheap hardware when your software is so expensive?

I think cobalt qubes or netwinders are by far a better choice. Of course, you can't run Frontier ;-(