Re: $500 NT Systems? Really?

Author:Karl Fast
Posted:6/11/1999; 2:52:06 PM
Topic:$15,000 to Burn

I don't think there is a limit in the actual software (i.e. NT doesn't enforce the 10-connection thing), just in the license agreement.

I think you're right. I'd forgotten.

Microsoft did back down on this, but then stuck a limit in the license. I don't know what the final status of this was, but I dug up the Tim O'Reilly piece. It's good.

MS NT Workstation 4.0 Maintaining Limitations
Tim O'Reilly
http://software.ora.com/news/msnt40_limit.html

Microsoft's attempt to get the Internet community to accept via a license agreement a limitation that they clearly found repugnant when encoded in the software seems like a dangerous trojan horse offering. If users accept the license now, what is to stop Microsoft from coming back six months or a year from now and setting limits in the software. After all, by then they could say: "We're just enforcing it now, that limit has been there for a long time--since NT Workstation 4.0!"

You can dig up lots of articles and discussion on this. Google returned some good documents, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Although I didn't look real hard. Here's my google search terms and a URL to the first 10 hits:

Google Search: "Tim O'Reilly" "NT Workstation" TCP/IP limits