Remember first-time users and flow

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/12/1999; 10:20:58 AM
Topic:New UI for My.UserLand.Com

As you make your critiques, remember that the design incorporates the needs of first time users. It isn't exclusively for them, the idea is that once they get a sense of which channels they like, they will join as a member, start choosing Favorites, and then the Favorites page will become more important to them.

But when they're first starting out, how would they know that Motley Fool, Internet Alchemy and Robot Wisdom are frequently updated with interesting stuff, and that some other perhaps bigger-name sites aren't?

I made the switch because I came to believe that the real product of this service is the Recently Updated Channels list. That's the reward system I want to set up. If you update frequently with interesting stuff, you'll get more readers.

Note that if people choose infrequently updated channels, *we* get the rep for being uninteresting.