my.userland - comments and and idea

Author:Dru Oja Jay
Posted:6/12/1999; 1:24:33 PM
Topic:New UI for My.UserLand.Com

comments:

IMHO the graphic doesn't need to been more than half the size it is now - waaaay too big at the moment, and I don't see the purpose. Personal aesthetic I guess.. screen space is valuable, though.

The graphics still cover up text of long headlines in the first line (see Camworld and jjg.net) - maybe they need a seperate [td] for their very own - I don't see how that would interfere with the current design.

The HTML is really big - do you really need a seperate table for each headline? I don't see why you couldn't use one table for each channel, and a

tag between headlines. Right now, it takes way too long to render on a 200 mhz 604e w/ Netscape 4.0, so I don't use my.userland.com as much as I'd like - I have to wait 30 seconds every time I resize the window.

ideas:

I think a dhtml interface would be sexy - have all the subscribed channel names lined up in a left column - a click on the name bringing up a previously hidden layer with the current headlines.

Also nice would be something that hi-lites (ie change background colour of) sites that have new headlines since the last viewing, perhaps even for specific headlines.

I don't know if it's on the agenda, but it would be cool to have a version that doesn't use tables at all for speedy loading and rendering.

thats all for now I suppose :D

cheers,

Dru