Re: critic on bad documentation

Author:André Radke
Posted:6/13/1999; 2:00:35 PM
Topic:critic on bad documentation

How does an HTTP request get handled by Frontier (a) when it is running behind a webserver such as Webstar (say with the Nirvana plug-in) and (b) when Frontier itself is the server. It would be really useful to have a map or description of how Frontier handles the call from the lowest level through to sending back a response.

I acually have draft version of such a document.

There's really not much of a difference between case (a) and (b). Both will be handled by webserver.server, and when that script is called, not much has really happened yet.

In case (b), the Frontier kernel calls inetd.supervisor whenever a client connects to the http port. This script then calls webserver.server, the daemon associated with that port.

As for case (a), I am not really sure what happens before webserver.server is called (not much, obviously). Brent is our expert on this.