xml-rpc spec vs frontier?

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:6/13/1999; 9:17:11 PM
Topic:xml-rpc spec vs frontier?

Question: when there is a difference between the XML-RPC spec and the way Frontier does it.. who wins? Normally, I'd go with a spec anyday, but since Frontier is the benchmark in this case, I'm not sure.

F'rinstance, send this to betty.userland.com:

examples.getStateName 12

(note that the case is wrong for the closing methodCall tag)

betty responds thusly:

(lots of fault stuff) faultString Poorly formed XML text,we were expecting a tag. (At character #139.)

Ooooops! The faultString contains . According to the spec, that intial < should be encoded &lt; (also, my xml parser throws a tantrum when it encounters it).

Now who's right? Should my parser handle that better? Or is betty slipping up?