Re: Unix and Email Viruses

Author:Paul Nakada
Posted:6/15/1999; 10:59:48 PM
Topic:Unix and Email Viruses

How are GNOME and KDE going to get easy to use, when ease of use is driven by the demands of novices? It's kind of like the way nature works. We can break off and do things our own way, sort of like mammals vs reptiles or we can try to branch off an existing species (like humans vs. chimps)

In any case, we hope that the fittest will survive. Right now, things don't look very good. We have Windows, which is very dominant, but not very diverse. It's setting itself up with a very limited gene pool, and thus susceptible to rapid propagation of both poitive and negative features.

On the other hand we have Desktop Linux, a scrappy, but much less powerful animal. It's in need of a resource (users) but the dominant organism is starving it. :-(

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the dominant organism trying to expand it's gene pool by doing a litttle less inbreeding and mating with others less close in genetics. ;-)

On a serious note, it's interesting to try to see similarites between technology and nature. It allows one to take out some of the passion that we feel about things and put in a dose of reality.

Comments?

- Paul