Replacement for TEXTAREA

Author:Sten Linnarsson
Posted:6/16/1999; 2:27:12 AM
Topic:Replacement for TEXTAREA

There was some discussion a while ago about replacing TEXTAREA with a better editor. I guess that's in line with Manila; being able to Edit This Page anywhere, you need a better editor.

I recently discovered the designMode property of IFRAME in IE5. It actually isn't that bad! It understands draganddrop, you can paste an URL and have it automatically become a link, etc. I think it could stand an analogue of the Hotmail-test (use Hotmail for all your email for a week).

So, anyway, I put up a demo at http://cajal.mbb.ki.se/staff/sten. IE5 absolutely required. Try this: go to wired news, ctrl-A, ctrl-C, then click on the editor, ctrl-V. It's pretty cool, no? Try the printing, too.

Does anybody know if the designMode property is standard in any way? Will Gecko support it? They have their own editor, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

/Sten