Re: ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:6/20/1999; 4:10:39 PM
Topic:ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

Re handling links in items, I agree with your analysis, the format has its oddities, owing to its early invention. However, there's good news, you can just have a part of an item with no s and use the familiar to do the job of the in your example. In other words, there's no requirement that you break the links out separately. There's nothing on our server that depends on this, in fact as it's compiling the channel, it does the substitution, it never stores the links in the database, except as s in the text.

HREFs are fine, if you're talking about HTML presentation. But if you're not, it has no meaning, unless you put a href in the DTD.

As odd as it is, it's nice to have the link separate from the text.

Perhaps the two could be joined through an ID shared between the link and the linktext so that the correct text is linked?

Jim