Re: ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

Author:Jeffrey Veen
Posted:6/21/1999; 9:04:04 PM
Topic:ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

So, I choose to let the XML tag for link be . And let it have an attribute called HREF.

Well, sure. But it all has to be in the DTD. If it's not in the DTD, you can't validate it. Netscape would be silly not to validate the content flowing into Netcenter. One error in one RSS file and the my.netscape.com is in shambles. So we parse and validate our RSS on the way out, and you do so on the way in. Perfect code every time.

So, really, there's nothing arbitrary about XML. We can't just add something to RSS unless everyone agrees we should. That's why you have every right to rant at Netscape for reving the spec behind closed doors. It belongs to us now, the publishers.

Anyway, there's a solution to all of this: XML namespaces. It allows any combination of tags from any number of DTDs. That would solve the link problem instantly:

Interesting reading in Wired News about The X Games currently going on in San Francisco.