Re: ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

Author:Mark Nottingham
Posted:6/24/1999; 9:23:31 PM
Topic:ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

*deep breath* OK. *smile* Sorry.

What are the content sources you're anticipating (just original content, or also weblogs?)

Ultimately, RDF is supposed to do this stuff, but IMHO it's too heavy for what SN/RSS et al seem to want to do (but I haven't had a good look at what they're doing, this is just an impression).

I don't know if it's going to be possible to keep things from fragmenting (RSS/ScriptingNews/MoreOvernews/etc), which is a shame. In an ideal world, I'd like to sit a process on my box at home that would suck in news and links from a bunch of servers and display it. If it has to understand too many formats, there isn't much benefit.

On a more practical/constructive note, my wishlist for scriptingnews is: * a publish/add date for each item (HTTP date format? or something else?) * an optional title for items (that can be a link. SN2 can duplicate the positioning of the link, but not the emphasis/context of a title). * optional categorisation per item? * optional publisher and publisher URL per item.

Publish date would allow us to display the last n items, or items since x time, or items in the last y hours. It would also make it possible to keep some client state, so that users don't see any single item more than once.

Categorisation is good if you're looking at a weblog, and you only want a subset of its content; for instance, memepool. It gets interesting when you start to consider whether categories are set by the publisher, or are pre-defined.

Publisher would be nice for the same reason, so you can tell where the link originally came from.

WebLogs add value by pooling together interesting online resources; now we need tools to manipulate what they produce. It's ironic, really; they were designed so that users don't have to go to each individual publisher to get content. Now, instead, you have to go to each WebLog that you're interested in.