scriptingNews outline for 6/26/99

Author:Dave Winer

Eric Soroos has a new version of his Mail Server that runs inside Frontier. He's got the mail system fully integrated with Frontier's content management system. This is a very important project for all serious Frontier system developers. It's a first-of-its-kind mail server because of the CMS integration. Please support Eric's work.

New My.UserLand.Com feature: It has a discussion group! And it's different from any other DG we host. Each "fat" news story starts a thread. And there's a new flat listing for comments. We're giving this format a try in this context to see how it works.

New version of the DocServer website. It's been modernized to run in our newest editorial environment. Easier navigation. Same subscription procedure, so it just got better, no extra work for Frontier developers.

Thinking about the PC WEEK benchmark comparing Linux and Windows NT as a web server. A few comments. If you wanted to do a fair comparison Linux would get to run on hardware that cost more than NT Server. What is the cost of NT Server? I just hunted around Microsoft.Com and couldn't find it. I got a Cobalt Qube, $1000, runs Linux, I don't think you could buy a reasonable NT Server for $1000? If so, I'd like to get my hands on one. Another consideration, the benchmark tested static pages. All the interesting high-traffic sites are dynamic. You could take static page serving out of the benchmark as far as I'm concerned. What matters to me is scripted web pages. Compare Perl to Perl. When we get Frontier on Linux we'll be able to do some meaningful A-B comparisons.

Hey check this out. I can point to Wired articles in a very weird way. Look at this URL carefully. See the "scriptingNews" in there? You could change that to any string. I tuned into this by looking at a URL that SlashDot is using. I wonder what Wired does with this? Will they pay me money for that hit? Interesting!

MacInTouch report by Raines Cohen on the MacHack "Apple Handshake" session.

InfoWorld's Nicholas Petreley says Bob Metcalfe will eat his words about Linux v Microsoft. "Last week, Bob Metcalfe predicted that Linux would fizzle against Windows. His reasoning? Open-source ideology is balderdash and Linux is 30-year-old technology."