Re: Free Speech not Free Beer (was Re: Win What?)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/29/1999; 8:53:21 AM
Topic:Win What?

One Unix expert is all that's needed in some situations. Once you design and implement the system, buy more hardware. Clone the setup on Machine A on B, C, D, E, etc.

It may be true that Windows is better suited when you have a large team of engineers, the cost of the engineers swamps the software license fees, but there are certainly situations when a $0 operating system is better suited, like when one piece of software is going to grow to serve millions of users.

I think the clue to this is in HotMail, which is just such an system. Millions of users, relatively small engineering team. They've tried, presumably with some effort, to convert it to NT. As far as I know it's still running on FreeBSD. This is more a question. Does anyone know the story of HotMail?