Re: XML needs a killer app

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/29/1999; 12:28:10 PM
Topic:XML needs a killer app

"Content syndication" is a legacy media concept that doesn't translate well to the Web

I think the evidence is already in, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Before we had the New Stories list on My.UserLand.Com, my web rotation, every hour or so, included about 10 sites. I'd go to each, see if there are any new stories, and if any were interesting, read them. Each site works differently, some are more rational than others. Even the best of the big news sites would only get 1 or 2 new stories an hour.

The New Stories list is far more interesting, often 10-20 new stories an hour, and it's growing. If you haven't already checked it out, give it a try, it's now the home page of My.UserLand.Com. Warning: It's addictive.