Quirk formatting UserLand hosted WebLogs ??

Author:Paul Hardwick
Posted:7/1/1999; 11:54:17 AM
Topic:Quirk formatting UserLand hosted WebLogs ??

I was just trying out the Userland hosted WebLogs page (in prefs) so I could announce a small site that might of interest to Mac users and found a small quirk. The output still seems to work but if you look at the internal HTML you find something that was unintended and may cause problems on some browsers.

I had entered a FULL URL http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive.html to show the old way to reach the site and when I entered it to the database by hitting UPDATE it did the expected formatting and turned it into a link with the full URL also as the link (like it is supposed to).

Now being a bad typist I had to go back and make some typing corrections. After I hit UPDATE the second time I noiticed that full URL had been expanded again. This created a link inside the original link. When I made some more typing corrections and hit UPDATE for a third time I found that the expansion occured once for each time I hit the UPDATE button. This left me with a repeating link three levels deep.

It didn't seem to cause any problems for my browser (IE 4.5 on Mac). Everything still formattted OK, but I assume it might make something hic-cup at some point in the future.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any easy way to stop this other than maybe having a two stage process. The first just formats the text entered for verification while the second finalizes it and expands the free standing URLs.

==Paul

PS. This in NOT a complaint :-) I just wanted to make sure you knew about the quirk. After all I am able to bypass the problem myself by removing the extra HTML.

BTW the two stage process would also have the advantage of not posting someone's page while they are in the middle of updating their entry. That is of course assuming that they do multiple iterations like I did to fix mistakes/typos.