Re: XML-RPC for Emacs

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:7/3/1999; 8:10:06 AM
Topic:XML-RPC for Emacs

How hard would it be to go the other way? I've had a desire to let my students edit their C++ code in Frontier's outliner and save to the Linux file system. Then they could use a Frontier menu command to compile their program and retrieve their errors, making corrections in Frontier?

Yes, you could do this. You'd need to write an XML-RPC server for Linux. See the XML-RPC website for a list of XML-RPC implementations. Choose one which you're comfortable with (and which runs on Unix), and write a "compile and run" command.

I imagine you could do this by setting up a limited-access account and reading the standard output of GCC and your students' programs.

Cheers,
Eric