Re: Editing under Linux

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:7/3/1999; 9:38:59 AM
Topic:XML-RPC for Emacs

Running Frontier under WINE: I have had little success. Because Wine is 3.11 compliant (I think), it doesn't really handle the non-8.3 filenames that Frontier can handle. As such, it chokes when trying to find frontier.root.

Wine supports nearly all of Windows 3.11 and a good chunk of Windows 98 and NT 4. You wouldn't actually want to use Frontier under Wine right now, but it boots and runs. I can browse through subtables, open up 'wp text' objects (with a few unfortunate display bugs) and even edit a few things here and there.

If you just want an outliner to edit in, check out the GTK and QT toolkits; they might have widgets like the 'flipping triangles' in Frontier.

Gtk+ supports Windows-style tree widgets with '+' and '-' icons, but not Frontier-style triangles. I don't know about Qt.

Cheers,
Eric