Re: Linux don't blink

Author:Karl Fast

One more thing, don't overlook the cost of lock-in.

Absolutely. It's open standards, more than open source. My biggest complaint with open source folks (and I love them, I really do) is that some of them (certainly not all, Linus is very pragmatic here) keep telling me that all software should be open source and it is the "one true way" of building software. Hogwash.

Open source offers many things, probably the most important being that it usually spawns a great reference implementation of open standards. This helps keep commercial vendors honest. Again, consider the attack plan suggested in the Halloween documents. But open source is not the only way to build software. Simply going open source will not necessarily make your code better or make your product capture a larger market share or help you achieve world domination. There's a lot more to it than that, and no magic formula.

I think we're on the same wavelength here Dave.

karl