Re: Linux don't blink

Author:Dave Winer

They'll probably make fun of me again in NTK, but the one true path is acceptance. Embrace Microsoft. Embrace Linux. Embrace open source. Embrace Oracle and Apple, and Philippe Kahn too. Everything is cool. No one needs to die. When Upside or PC WEEK or Infoworld carry Microsoft's water, love them too, because eventually they'll carry ours too.

People think software is about locking people in, but if you flip history around, look at the times when the lock-in explodes. It's happened over and over. IBM, DEC, Apple, and now Microsoft, it never lasts very long. I think lock-in is like training wheels. Let's use this company while we figure out how this stuff works. Then five-fifteen years later boom, it's a commodity.

It's not ready yet to happen in GUIs (although Be could do something dramatic if they want), but it sure is happening in servers.