XML RPC and multi-part mime

Author:nmanson@livepage.com
Posted:7/6/1999; 7:28:07 AM
Topic:XML RPC and multi-part mime

Please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before. I performed a search and didn't come up with any obvious hits.

Has anyone considered expanding the XML-RPC spec to support multipart mime?

Motivation:

Sometimes it is necessary to send or receive something large and sufficiently XML-ish that it won't fit inline into XML. Base64 encoding is an option. However, it is an extra step on both the client and the server that is not required by the underlying protocol. In addition, XML-RPC is based on HTTP POST and POSTing multi-part mime files is a widely accepted practise.

It occurs to me that an extension to XML-RPC would save implementors from having to base64 large objects (like, say, a MPEG movie). Instead one could allow multi-part mime with the first part being XML-RPC and the parameters or response containing an XLink to the subsequent mime parts.

Any thoughts?