Re: Cable modems, Tragedy of the Commons

Author:Wesley Felter

That's why I mentioned in my message that there are technical solutions (e.g. WFQ, CBQ, DiffServ, etc.) that can prevent a network from getting bogged down, while giving each user their proper share of the bandwidth.

The alternate solution is pay-as-you-go service. I think either one of these is better than the current situation.

I totally believe that people should have to accept responsibility for their bandwidth usage. But I object to the assumption that I am going to abuse the network simply because everyone else in my neighborhood is. If you abuse the network, your ISP should either firewall off your server or send you an astronomical bill. But don't shut down my Web site if it's not causing a problem.