Re: CORBA Random Number Server in Python

Author:Kent Spaulding
Posted:7/14/1999; 8:10:28 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Very cool that it is this easy to put up a server in either Python or Frontier. I suspect it could be done in Java in about the same amount of time. But why? Pseudo-random number generators are built into these languages.

Just because I haven't seen it mentioned here: random.org serves up 'truly' random numbers based on readings of atmospheric noise. This goes beyond the pseudo-random numbers built into language environments, and hence is a useful (albeit inefficient in its current implementation) service to provide.

Still, the Python and Frontier experiments do outline that providing CORBA or other RPC services does not have to be difficult.