Re: Kernelizing the server

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:7/15/1999; 12:05:04 PM
Topic:Blank Screen Phenom

I did some work on HTTP compression a while ago:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wesf/frontier/deflate.html

Unfortunately I never got it to work with any real browser. (I was using the deflate encoding instead of gzip, because the gZip extension for Frontier couldn't gzip to memory, and creating temp files seems wasteful.)

And if you're caching content, don't forget to cache the compressed version, too. (Oterwise a server could spend all its time compressing stuff.)