New My.UserLand.Com Backend Feature

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/15/1999; 12:25:34 PM
Topic:New My.UserLand.Com Backend Feature

Every night at midnight we copy the XML text of all the channels that changed to an archive stored on a high-speed Linux static server.

We started archiving in June 1999, so there's already a history showing how each site developed (or didn't). The archive and the stories it points to will also be used to seed a search engine.

If you write an application to build on this flow of stories, please read the files no more than once a day, and be smart about caching on your end, don't crawl the whole site every day.

The rollover happens at midnight Pacific.

There are two other backend features, explained on the site.