Please explain userland.com to me

Author:Akilesh Rajan
Posted:7/15/1999; 11:38:24 PM
Topic:Please explain userland.com to me

I've looked around for a thorough explanation of userland.com, but have not yet found it. If there is a comprehensive overview of how everything works, I'd be glad to have someone point it out to me. Specifically, my questions are:

1. Why aren't my.userland.com and discuss.userland.com even mentioned on the www.userland.com webpage?

2. Do you have to register your site first in order to use the "weblog" feature of my.userland.com? If not, what is its use?

3. Are you supposed to enclose links and other information in a special format for the weblog editor or will the weblog editor automatically translate ordinary text -- i.e. "Good news site" http://www.news.com/ into XML?

4. Can the weblog editor be used to create an XML file offsite that can later be registered with my.userland?

5. When I picked my favorite channels and pressed "submit," the web page just gave me my.userland.com/default. Then, when I went to Favorites, I got "no chanels selected." When I went back to Channels, it was as if I had picked no channels. I did this twice to make sure that the results (or lack thereof) were the same and indeed they were. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.