Re: Every pub has to define the integrity lines ...

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:7/16/1999; 3:47:32 PM
Topic:Every pub has to define the integrity lines ...

I think that the Merc is one of the best papers around these parts and that its standards are high. They also have the best team of hi-tech journalists and commentators in the daily paper industry. Between Dan Gillmor, David Plotnikoff, Mike Cassidy and Chris Nolan, noone can hold a candle to them. Finally, since Chris didn't promote the company from whose IPO she profited, her violation of "the code" seems relatively minor. Hopefully after a suitable but short period of suspension she will be reinstated. The message has been sent, and The Merc can't afford to lose her insights and would be less valuable to me if she found other outlets for her journalistic output. Also, hopefully her first column should be about the way hi-tech journalists constantly have to walk this tightrope between public interest and self interest.