Diving Into Frontier 6

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:7/19/1999; 9:56:55 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I've been tasked with creating an intranet demo for our company. I helped develop the concept and a quickie list of capabilities. After working with Frontier for so long, I knew I wanted to include a lot of the features I've become accustomed to in Frontier: discussion groups, news sites, search, etc... So, the short list of requirements had all those things. Naturally Frontier was the ideal environment to demo in! I don't know if we'll stick with Frontier or not, but I think Frontier will set a pretty high standard.

I'm hacking into the system a bit, since I'm going to need multiple discussion groups, membership groups, consoles, etc. I'm pushing for an environment where each project team and department has their own, membership-controlled discussion group and newssite, with each project manager having a console from which to drive his area. I'll be extending console.root, and some of the others, a lot. On top of all this, the "home" page of the intranet hopefully will be a portal, customized by the user, with each project having its own channel.

I have to give a LOT of credit to David Theige who paved the way with André for doing multiple membership groups. David did a lot of digging, and I'm building on his work. Thanks David!

--Steve