Nice design features on the iBook

Author:James Spahr
Posted:7/21/1999; 4:20:22 PM
Topic:iBook is good?

I was at MacWorld today and I played with a Tangerine iBook for about 15 minutes.

The first thing that struct me is the size. The iBook is big. Its not much smaller than the powerbook G3. Although the size of it would make it nice to work with on your lap. (Have you ever tried to use a 2400 on your lap?)

The other thing that I didn't like about it was the keyboard. Its quite shallow and mushy. I'm using a Powerbook G3/266 now and the keyborad feels the same way. (In contrast I was using my powerbook 3400 an hour ago, and I really like that keyboard)

Okay - things I like about it. It turns on instantly when you open the lid, and you don't have to wait for the machine to wake from sleep - its just open the lid and poof! - its on. Its also not that heavy (6.2 pounds), the weight feels good when its closed and in your hand.

The Airport is very fast. Big web pages loaded quickly. There wasn't a local file server so I couldn't really clock it without the internet getting in the way.

I like the colors, and the hinge seems really strudy, it was very satisifying to open and close it - its spring loaded and really cool.

And thats about it (Besides that fact the Connectix put some nice scripting support in Virtual PC 3.0)