Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/22/1999; 6:01:17 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

DaveNet: Brick and Mortar Isn't Dead Either.

Press Release: "Microsoft Corp. today announced it has joined several leading Internet messaging companies to voice continued support for developing a standard protocol for instant messaging and presence awareness."

Jacob's Angst covers online health sites.

Motley Fool: An Apple Today. Congrats to Steve Jobs. Apple has legs again.

SF Chronicle: Online grocery shopping really works. "I've been shopping [online] for the past few weeks, and I'm sold. I expected prices and selection in line with those of a 7-Eleven. Instead, the Web grocers rival Safeway -- and I could shop much faster online than in line."

WSJ: Compaq Loses Big Accounts.

SJ Merc: Nolan Disciplined, Will Lose Column. "Mercury News editors said Wednesday that business writer Chris Nolan will lose her column because she accepted a local executive's offer of a profitable investment opportunity not generally available to the public."

News.Com: Apple gains despite low-cost competition.

Henry Norr on MacWorld Expo. Henry is at the Chronicle now.

After stopping at Buck's, Newt paid a visit to Homestead.Com.

WebSter's Dictionary provides a forms-based gateway to a spell checker for WWW documents.

Dr HTML provides a web page spell-checker among other features.

MacInTouch report on wireless networking.

c't: Open-Source-Web-Publishing mit Zope. Objekthierarchie!

Cool stuff happening. We have the My.UserLand.Com story flow hooked up to XML-RPC. Now we have two servers hooked into the flow, one running on Frontier-on-NT and the other going to Zope-on-Linux. This is key to distributing this stuff, obviously.

NY Times: I Link Therefore I Am. 'Ms. Halpert's site, an intellectual layer cake, seems to fulfill the original promise of hypertext more completely than most others on the Web, where all roads lead to an Add to Shopping Cart button, or so it seems.' Hey Wes, she's in Austin!