Re: next Big thing (was Mac does DHCP...)

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:7/23/1999; 8:42:45 AM
Topic:Mac does DHCP...

I don't think that is their model at all, actually.

Wed I went home to tell my wife about the iBook and Airport. We have a problem with our house in that the living room has no wiring at all and we would like to be able to use the computer in there. We looked at 802.11 but there were competing standards, it was expensive, and few had Mac drivers. We also don't have working space for our old 7100. iBook solves both problems. My wifes comment was "Cool, we just wait around for Apple to solve our problems for us!". I thought about that for a second and she was right. To a lot of people that is the perception - that Apple's focus *is* making the products that people want.

Getting rid of ADB, etc. and introducing USB wasn't a move to 'next big thing' so much as a way to stimulate the peripheral market for Apple users. There are *way* more choices now after 10 months of USB than there were after 20 years of ADB. Firewire looks to be going the same way. In the end, just for routine things, the user is much better off.

The fact that Apple is incorporating *standards* is what makes it alright. Before, Apple would turn left to get away from competing with the PC world - NuBus, ADB, Geoport, etc. Now they do it to get there before the PC world - USB, 802.11, Firewire. Wintel will adopt all of these things now, but only after Apple made the demand.

I think about those VST Firewire drives - 3"x5"x1" and no power brick. *Perfect* for laptop owners that need to carry the big presentation, project, etc. No such product in the PC space.

These directions serve as catalysts to the next big thing, but are fully justifyable on their own. Mac only is not a good feature, unless it's the only way to bring the product to market because Wintel just isn't there yet...