Re: iBook RAM

Author:--
Posted:7/23/1999; 12:15:31 PM
Topic:iBook RAM

I disagree. Adding another 32Mb to iBook would only increase the cost for, probably less than $50. With 64Mb RAM, most consumer users will never have to upgrade (at least, I think general usage of a computer will not need more than 64Mb of RAM in the next 5 years). But with 32Mb, it's hardly enough. With OS 8.6 loaded, you probably can only load Netscape and an email client; no IM, no FTP (ok, that's too technical), no MP3 player and you may not be able to view many plug-in required web pages. If you think 32Mb is enough for consumer, I can also say that a consumer doesn't need a 300Mhz G3 CPU -- that's way overkill! Do your mother-in-law need a 300Mhz G3 to play solitaire? or to send e-mail? I would rather see a slower CPU, but get more memory. A 233Mhz G3 is perfectly fine for consumer. I am using a 233 iMac with 96Mb of RAM. It's slow to my standard, but it's perfect for my wife.