Re: Instant Messaging is Dead

Author:Derek Odegard
Posted:8/1/1999; 12:33:19 PM
Topic:Instant Messaging is Dead

Dead? It's in its infancy! There are scads of people who are just discovering it for the first time (like Dave). Isn't it Metcalfe's Law that says that the value of a network goes up exponentially in relation to the number of connected devices? Well this was certainly true of email, and it is quickly becoming the case for instant messaging. Just wait until there's an open standard.

Does a program which is like "HotBot, Third Voice and ICQ on steroids" really address a need? I guess some people use instant messaging to meet new people, but I don't have the time (or inclination) for that... I use it to keep in touch with friends and to get work done.

AOL and Microsoft... fossils?

--Derek