Re: I think you got the wrong guy

Author:John Jensen
Posted:8/3/1999; 7:10:36 AM
Topic:Microsoft response to Instant Messaging

You know Dave, I read this draft yesterday and I didn't actually see it as an attack on anyone. The rhetoric did seem a little over the top, but I still saw it as a defense.

In your quote:

"To suppose that cathedral-style development could manage this trick when the low entry barriers and process fluidity of the bazaar cannot would be absurd. If what it takes is one person with one good idea, then a social milieu in which one person can rapidly attract the cooperation of hundreds or thousands of others with that good idea is going inevitably to out-innovate any in which the person has to do a sales job to a hierarchy before he can work on it without risk of getting fired."

I can see the "we will bury you" aspect of the "inevitably out-innovate" sentence, and throw it away. The rhetoric isn't important, and when you strip it away you get back to the same question that people like the CMC have been asking for years ... what will happen when hundreds of thousands of people choose to cooperate on a project?

John