Re: Open Source is a farse...

Author:Steven Livingstone
Posted:8/4/1999; 6:43:46 AM
Topic:Microsoft response to Instant Messaging

I think MS would acknowledge that their versioning could have been better (although I notice 11 different downloads for Netscape to run on Unix platforms vs One for MS platforms).

I was referring more to the fact the the MS browser is generally a much better development browser and is *a lot* closer to the W3C standards (IE 5 is not that far behind their Amaya browser anyway !!).

This from ZD Net interested me about the Open Source limitations as well...

MOZILLA Strengths: A cooperative effort between Netscape Communications Corp. and community developers, the Mozilla browser project has yielded many cutting-edge features; flexible modular design and a powerful yet small browser engine.

Weaknesses: Extended development period has yet to produce a stable browser for corporate evaluation.

Enterprise impact: Netscape made a big splash when it turned its popular browser code over to the open-source community. While the move brought a lot of attention to open source, it hasn't produced a workable browser. If development continues at a slow pace, Mozilla risks losing out to commercial competitors such as Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer and to other open-source browsers such as the World Wide Web Consortium's Amaya.

Cheers Steven