Re: Instant Messaging is Dead

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/5/1999; 10:11:06 AM
Topic:Instant Messaging is Dead

DAVE, perhaps you could see if there is anyone interested in an Frontier project with this. And what if you combined IMPP with XML-RPC? You could perhaps get a crude Technography device?

Why bother with IMPP? Does it exist?

I would just build it on HTTP. (As XML-RPC does.)

We'll swing around to this after we complete our syndication stuff. If Microsoft has opened up by then we'll consider using their servers. If AOL has opened up, we'll consider using theirs. We won't consume anyone's bandwidth who doesn't openly welcome it. We support The Golden Rule as one of our major SDKs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the whole system could be implemented as a distributed set of fractional horsepower HTTP servers, not unlike the whole SETI thing.

Who needs a monolith? Not if they keep insisting on giving me SDKs.

Let's have fun!