Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Stephen Hall
Posted:8/10/1999; 7:21:24 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I have looked at the InfoWorld policy and am puzzled that they request permission before you even quote from one of their articles. As I understand it, this is governed in Copyright law (at least in Canada) as "fair use" and, subject to reasonable limits, does not require that permission is granted.

As for deep linking, providing that you do not present the material as your own, or seek to derive commercial benefit from it, then I do not feel that a court would decide against you. How could they? You are simply pointing to material already posted for public view. Until this gets established, however, it seems that lawyers are trying to circumscribe this practice.

Anyone willing to set up a test case? To make it more interesting, let's do it from a server operating here in Canada. Our lawyers charge less money.