Re: Deep Linking to Infoworld

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:8/12/1999; 8:45:16 AM
Topic:Deep Linking

Frankly, if it weren't for deep links to Infoworld, I wouldn't give a damn what was on their site. Same for Cnet. Or Cnn. Or news.com.

I don't read Infoworld's home page, I don't read any dead trees publication that they may publish, but I will read an article if someone tells me that its interesting.

The slashdot effect is pretty well known, point a link from a respected weblog and the page gets hammered. That pretty much tells you that the traffic from that link wouldn't have been coming in off of the home page, since your home page would be perpetually slashdotted if that was the case.

Metcalfe's law works in reverse too. Their loss I guess.

eric