RE: Deep linking

Author:cranstone1@aol.com
Posted:8/12/1999; 8:55:15 AM
Topic:RE: Deep linking

Hello DaveNet,

Whilst this discussion gets hotter here, the same discussion is going on in the PQA development forum on Palm's site. The issue there centers around "web clipping" via PQA's. The only way to get your data to a PDA is to web clip, they simply can't support massive amounts of data. Obviously all the big players are involved.

Again, it’s ironic that players like InfoWorld seem to want to send the web backwards. All our links do is point to THEIR information, we don’t modify it or change it in anyway.

What no one at these large organizations has done is sit down and figure out the “increased value” of their web sites due to linking. They are attempting to fragment the network with this deep linking policy, and if we have learned nothing else, if “we the people” decide that we don’t like this behavior the backlash will be enormous.

Information from another site which doesn’t have such restrictive policies is just a click away, and then think about what InfoWorld’s sponsors/advertisers are going to think about that!

Regards,

Peter J. Cranstone Remote Communications, Inc.