Re: Deep Linking to Infoworld

Author:Matt Hamer
Posted:8/12/1999; 9:00:06 AM
Topic:Deep Linking

"Would the readers of my site read the InfoWorld piece if I didn't link to it? I don't know, do they?"

I almost never reach an online publication like InfoWorld through their home page. I rely heavily on ScriptingNews and similar sites to sift out the good stuff. Everyone thinks their home page is some kind of "portal" these days, but who has time to monitor 100 different "portals" for information? Until they change their policy, I'd refuse to link to them. Like you say, a link to their home page and a banner advertisement appear at the top of every article. What more do they want? You are doing them a big favor by driving traffic to their site. Their policy seems foolish.

Here's what they said about ScriptingNews in August, 1997...

"So if you need an intelligent agent, pick one with some street smarts. Dave Winer, for instance, is a sunchild-cum-gadfly who updates his Scripting News site (http://www.scripting.com) several times a day with a thread of links that record the ebb and flow of industry doings. By doing so, Winer both sparks and records a fascinating dialogue. Another strong voice is Michael Sippey, architect of Stating the Obvious (http://www.theobvious.com). Tellingly, Sippey calls his daily list of links "Filter.""

If you want to read the whole article, type this into your browser:

"http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/loose/lc081197.htm"

Wait. I mean, go to their home page and search for ScriptingNews.