Letter to Infoworld

Author:Dave Polaschek
Posted:8/12/1999; 10:44:54 AM
Topic:Letter to Infoworld

I sent this note to infoworld's feedback address. Figured some folks here might enjoy it.

Hello,

I was recently informed of your link policy, which is stated at <http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStat.pl?/readerservices/permissions.htm>.

I would like to give you my take, which is that this is a severely wrongheaded policy. I seldom read Infoworld's main page, only reading anything from your magazine because I have been referred to it by a "deep link". I will continue this policy, so if I'm ever reading anything at InfoWorld, it will be because of a link that is in violation of your policies.

I also suggest you take a look at the discussion which starts with <http://news.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$9274>. While the people talking in this discussion are those who read Dave Winer's scripting.com, the general attitude toward Infoworld is so sour at the moment that you may be surprised. This is not just one or two people who are upset with you, it is a fairly large community. [This is probably overstated. Not everyone is sour on Infoworld. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to word it more carefully. -DaveP]

I also would like to point you to a recent editorial at Salon Magazine. It is available at <http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/1999/08/12/deep_links/index.html>.

You'll notice that in this email I've used nothing BUT deep links. This practice is SO common on the web, that I wonder about your intelligence if you're trying to prohibit people from linking to Infoworld's site in this manner. ~Shrug~

Have a nice day. Hope to see the policy change, but if not, I doubt I'll miss reading Infoworld.

-DaveP