re: Walter Crosby's email

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/13/1999; 4:08:01 PM
Topic:re: Walter Crosby's email

In addition, journalists don't require prior consent; within an exchange, a request for confidentiality at any point is generally respected.

Jason, check that fact. I have been dealing with journalists for many years, and my understanding is that once said and on the record it is on the record. Only thru prior agreement can it be off the record or not for attribution. It's true that sometimes sources that are on the record or attributable are able to get off the record or anonymous, but it requires consent.

There's been a lot of spouting and venting on this. I want it to stop now, you guys are getting in the way of my judgement about my site. There's nothing you can do about it, the issue is between me and Mr Crosby and possibly InfoWorld and IDG. You may choose to not send me email in the future, that's fine, that's your power. Stay there, and stop giving me advice, it's not welcome. Thanks for listening.