Tobacco Road

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/13/1999; 11:11:11 PM
Topic:TV firms to sue Tivo, ReplayTV

Here's an example of synchronicity.

After posting the Mike Wallace message I checked my mail and my word for the day was in my mailbox.

tobacco road (tuh-BAK-oh road) noun

A poverty-stricken rural community.

[After Tobacco Road (1932), a novel by Erskine Preston Caldwell (1903-1987).]

"Judging by the faded overalls he recently wore to work, Red Hat's lawyer, Dave Shumannfang, seems to have forgotten he's not a farmer along Tobacco Road." Chris Burritt, Red Hat Software riding rising popularity of Linux, The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, 28 Mar 1999.

This week's theme: words or phrases from the titles of fictional works.

Pronunciation:

http://www.wordsmith.org/words/tobacco_road.wav

http://www.wordsmith.org/words/tobacco_road.ram