TV firms to sue Tivo, ReplayTV

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/13/1999; 2:10:11 PM
Topic:TV firms to sue Tivo, ReplayTV

See this SF Gate article.

One wonders what's different this time around. Isn't this just another form of fair use, just like VCRs? We've been there before and then the movie companies lost big time to the VCR makers.

What's different with this technology?

Isn't this kind of lawsuit threat frivolous? Why would they stop making and selling these devices based on an unrealized threat? I understand that the TV companies are trying to intimidate the likes of Fry's and Good Guys to not sell these devices, but still..