static/dynamic differences

Author:Oliver Wrede
Posted:8/18/1999; 3:09:03 AM
Topic:static/dynamic differences

I wish Frontier 6.1 would be able to serve dynamic content in the same way as it does static rendering -- but there are things open which are not included in the description for converting websites to mainResponder (http://frontier.userland.com/tree$3.2.13)

My current problem: linked StyleSheets

I have a rather complex set of stylesheets. I need to be able to exchange the stylesheets by setting the HREF of a -Reference via JavaScript (this does not work with embedded ones). The linking seems to be much faster as well.

In my static website the stylesheets are Outlines in the #styleSheets subtable. I use the linkStyleSheet() macro to link those in. This creates references to URIs like "/css/default.css".

When converting to a mainResponder site this does not work. I have to do the following steps:

So far so good.

Now the last problem:

My browser (IE5) doesn't eat that Content-Type! While my Apache server seems to deliver the Content-Type correctly. Without the right Content-Type the linked StyleSheets don't work.

I did some tests by telnetting to port 80 on each server. See here:

Test with Frontier 6.0:

GET /test/css/typo

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Connection: close Content-Length: 126 Content-Type: text/css Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:31:58 GMT Server: UserLand Frontier/6.0-Win95

.box, .boxtitle, .boxbody, .btitle, .bsubtitle, .chooserbox, .choosertext {

font-family: Verdana, MS Sans Serif, Arial} Connection closed by foreign host. ------------------------------------------------------

Test with Apache:

GET /test/css/typo1.css

.box,.boxtitle,.boxbody,.btitle,.bsubtitle,.chooserbox,.choosertext { font-family: Verdana, MS Sans Serif, Arial }

Although I can't the the Content-Type-Header in the Apache response, it seems Frontiers responses are not interpreted correctly by my browser!

Disregarding this problem: It would be nice if the linkStyleSheet()-Script could deal with mainResponder sites alone - so I can switch more easily and even mix static and dynamic content in the same Guest database....

Oliver